1. Chicken, 1.5 kg
2. Onion, 1-2
3. Garlic, 4 cloves peeled
4. Ginger, 4 cm cube,peeled and coarsely chopped
5. Almonds, 25g blanched, slivered
6. Ground cumin, 2 tsp
7. Ground coriander, 2 tsp
8. Ground turmeric, 1/2 tsp
9. Paprika, 1 tbs
10. Cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp
11. Salt, 1/2 tsp
12. Vegetable oil
13. Lemon juice, 2 tbs
14. Coarsely ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp
15. Garam masala, 1/2 tsp
For the marinade:
1. Ginger, 2.5 cm cube, peeled and coarsely chopped
2. Garlic, 2 large cloves, peeled
3. Yoghurt, 6 Tbs.
4. Turmeric, 1/2 tsp.
5. Salt, 1 and 1/4 tsp.
6. Cayenne pepper, 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
7. Freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the ginger, garlic and 3 tbs of yoghurt into the blender to make a fine paste.
Add the turmeric, salt, cayenne and black pepper. Blend for a second to mix. Empty into a bowl. Add the remaining 3 tbs. of the yoghurt to the marinade and beat in with a fork.
2. Skin the entire chicken with the exception of the wing tips. Skin the neck.
Put the chicken breast up, in a large bowl or on a platter and put the giblets and neck near it. Rub the chicken, inside and out with the marinade. Set aside unrefrigerated for 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, put the onions, garlic, ginger and almonds in the blender and make a paste. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, cayenne and salt. Blend again to mix.
4. Put the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When hot, put in this paste. Fry stirring for 8 – 9 minutes. Add the lemon juice, black pepper and garam masala. mix. Turn off the heat and let this cool.
5. Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F.
6. When the chicken has marinate for 2 hours, spread out a large sheet of aluminium foil, large enough to enclose the chicken. Put the chicken, breast up, in the centre of the foil and put the giblets near it. Rub the chicken inside out with the fried spice mix. Bring the ends of the foil towards the centre to form a tight packet. All the ’seams’ should be 5 cm (2 inches) above the floor of the packet.
7. Put the wrapped chicken on a baking tray and bake for one and a half hours or until chicken is tender.